At left, Rosellen Quist, then a Nichols College sophomore, poses with Worcester Regional Chamber of Commerce President and former Massachusetts Lt. Gov. Tim Murray after receiving the Elaine Cencak Memorial Scholarship. The announcement and presentation took place during our May 2019 Annual Meeting at Clark University.
The Communicators Club has traditionally offered a $1,000 college scholarship, along with a one-year free membership for the winner, to support networking and professional development opportunities. The award was established in 2002 in honor of Elaine Cencak, who helped found the Society of Professional Communicators (TCC’s predecessor) and nurtured it as advisor and mentor during its first four decades. Note: The COVID-19 pandemic – and dearth of volunteers to oversee the process – has temporarily suspended the award.
Who is eligible?
Full- or part-time college sophomores and juniors majoring in a communications field at a Worcester County college, as well as seniors continuing on to graduate school to pursue a higher degree in a communications field may apply for the scholarship.
Do you know possible candidates?
- Please inform communications students at any Worcester-area college about this annual opportunity. For reference, you can refer candidates to the past year’s scholarship flyer.
How to apply:
- When applications reopen for the scholarship, qualified applicants should complete the online scholarship application to begin the process outlined below.
All applications must be submitted via email to email@example.com.
- TCC’s Scholarship Committee will not review any materials before the deadline.
- Each applicant will submit all materials via email.
- Provide two (2) letters of reference. One reference must be an instructor or faculty advisor; the other should be someone who has supervised the applicant in a volunteer or employment position.
- In addition to two letters of reference, a complete application will consist of: resume, essay and three samples of communications work.
- If you are a graduating senior, also include your specific plans for graduate school in your essay.
How we select the winner:
A committee of communications professionals judges scholarship applications based on:
- Quality of application;
- Contributions to the communications field;
- Academic achievement and accomplishments;
- Demonstration of a commitment to a communications career;
- Communications skills;
- Enthusiasm for communications.
Are you or someone you know interested in helping to run the scholarship process? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and include “Cencak Scholarship” in the email subject line.